Drinking Alcohol taught me how to fly
Then it took away the sky....

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

LIVE, LEARN, LIVE


THIS IS HOW WE LIVE AND LEARN...
or is it "learn...and LIVE?"


--a short story. Young man came into a meeting last night, his first in three weeks! Always the "quiet one"...sober a couple months.  He sat there for the hour meeting and he who never says a word, began to speak:

"I listen to what you people tell me, but...two nights ago I had dinner with my girlfriend. SHE ordered for herself a margarita, and for me a nice Lowenbrau (beer). I stared at the bottle of beer for how long I don't know, was ready to reach out and quell my fire, when I heard the words.

"It was a story in our Big Book, about a sober guy who felt so strong, and "healed" that he ordered a scotch to dump into his milk. Then one more, because the first went down fine. He was found three weeks later in a trash can in New York...and woke up in a hospital.


"Few sentences after that story was a line which read, 'An alcoholic...will be absolutely unable to stop drinking on the basis of self-knowledge...'

"Well, I want you people to know I thought about all that, and just reached out and pushed that beer away." (End of story)

Some will know of what I write. Others will not but I experienced a strong pushing feeling to get it out there on my blog. It's called "live and learn"...I call it "learn...and LIVE!"  (I did!)

(NOTE: I've changed a few facts to avoid copyright problems, and breaking of anonymity, but the conversation is intact.)

--steveroni 
May 13, 2015

8 comments:

  1. Great story! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary--now I realize how good it feels to know SOMEONE is reading what you wroite. Thanks for you supportive comment.

      Delete
  2. He may not say much but he is obviously listening. This is the sign of wisdom, is it not?
    Hope you are well fiddle man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello "X"...Are you one who says little, but listens a lot? Wisdom and Discernment are similar I believe? Are these exemplified by common sense and good judgement? .

      Delete
  3. I have had a couple of friends who shared this type of experience, I could have been listening to them sharing their story. Great thought provoking post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, John. I guess NOTHING is new, just the way it is experienced...

      Delete
  4. learn - and live... i'm glad he had the strength to push that beer away... there are things we have to break free from before real life starts... have a wonderful friday steve...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Claudia
      Sitting here, and as you know
      Neither poet nor artist I...
      even though, I wish to say
      Many Thanks for coming by.
      s

      Delete